Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Early response to treatment predicts remission and recovery at 3 years in people with schizophrenia

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.



What are the remission and recovery rates in people with schizophrenia, and what predicts these rates?


392 people (mean age 37.9 years, 50% male) with schizophrenia (DSM-IV), aged 18 years or older, who had never received antipsychotic treatment. Participants were moderately ill with a mean Clinical Global Impressions-Severity of Illness scale (CGI-Schizophrenia; CGI-SCH) score of 4.4, and had a short history of illness (median 0.6 years). Initial treatment was with atypical antipsychotics for 92% and with conventional antipsychotics for the remaining 8%.


Outpatient setting, Germany; recruitment January–December 2001.

Prognostic factors:

Predictors at baseline: duration of illness, age, gender, symptomatic status (CGI-SCH); functional variables, quality of life/subjective wellbeing (Subjective Wellbeing under Neuroleptic Treatment Scale, SWN-K). Predictors in the early course of treatment: (first 3 months) subjective wellbeing, symptomatic remission and functional remission. Predictors during the course of treatment: substance use disorder (SUD) during follow-up (not present at baseline); remitted SUD (SUD at baseline but not during follow-up) and persistent SUD (SUD reported at any visit after …

View Full Text


  • Source of funding: Eli Lilly Company, Germany


  • Competing interests: RE has participated in speakers/advisory boards and received honoraria from AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Janssen, Lundbeck, Organon, Pfizer, Servier and Wyeth. He has received research funding from Janssen, Lundbeck and AstraZeneca.